Claims FAQs: Auto
- Iâ€™ve never been in an accident before, what do I do?
- If youâ€™re involved in an auto accident, please contact our claims office at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) and speak to one of our representatives, who will guide you through filing a claim. Please have all information available, such as other parties involved and their address/phone numbers. Once the claim is filed, an adjuster will contact you within one business day to go over your claim and discuss options that are available to you for repairs.
- How long do I have to file my claim?
- American Family Insurance should be notified as soon as reasonably possible. Please provide the date, time, place and details in addition to the names and addresses of individuals involved with the claim.
- What if I donâ€™t have my deductible?
- You still have the option to file a claim and obtain an estimate from a repair shop. At American Family Insurance, we can work with the repair facility of your choice and obtain an estimate from them. We may need to inspect your vehicle when necessary. You'll receive a check payable to you and the repair shop. The check is good for one year from date-of-issue. Within the next year, when you can pay the deductible amount, you can schedule your vehicle for repairs.
- Iâ€™m not at fault! Does my deductible still apply?
- Yes, when filing your claim under your insurance policy, the applicable deductible applies even if youâ€™re not at fault. If the at-fault party is known, once your claim is paid, American Family Insurance will seek to recover the payments - including your deductible - from the responsible party or that party's insurance company.
- What are my options for vehicle repairs?
We offer two main options for having your vehicle repaired:
American Family Insurance has several pre-qualified shops that we work with through our Certified Repair Program (CRP). These shops have been inspected and approved, and offer a workmanship guarantee for as long as you own the vehicle. You pay your deductible directly to the shop once the repairs are completed.
You may also choose your own repair facility. If the shop chosen is not part of our Certified Repair Program (CRP), we may need to inspect your vehicle, or we may ask that the shop write an estimate that you can submit to your claims adjuster for review. Once the estimate is reviewed by an American Family Insurance representative, we will work with the shop to obtain an agreed price for repairs.
- How many estimates do I need?
- You may only need to get an estimate from one shop. When submitting an estimate, make sure the estimate is from the shop where you wish to have the repairs completed.
- How long does it take until I get my insurance check?
- For vehicle repairs, payment is usually issued within 24 hours, once you and your adjuster have agreed on the repairs. For total loss situations and more complex accidents, like those where injuries are involved, the amount of time until you receive your check varies.
- What is a total loss?
- If the cost to repair your vehicle approaches or exceeds the value of your vehicle, it may be deemed non-repairable, or a total loss. Your claims adjuster will complete a thorough inspection of your vehicle to determine its fair market value, taking into consideration the mileage, options, overall condition, any prior damage and current comparable used car market prices. Upon receipt of your title paperwork, payment (minus your deductible) will be made to you and your lien holder (if applicable), based on this amount.
- Is there coverage for special equipment on my motorcycle?
- There is no coverage for: saddle bags; trunk; sissy bar; custom paint; custom chroming; luggage rack; fairing, cowls, side panels, engine covers and all similar devices; trailer; windshield; custom seat; extended fork; highway bars; side car; and sound recording or reproducing equipment including their tapes, discs, and all similar devices for use with sound equipment. You can purchase an endorsement to cover these items for an additional charge. Contact your agent to add these items prior to a loss to ensure they are properly covered.
Have a question that you couldn't find here? Contact your American Family Insurance agent with your additional questions.
For claims related to storms, see Storm Info.
This website is for informational purposes only; it is not part of the insurance contract.