Claims FAQs: Business
- I’ve never been in an accident before, what do I do?
- If you’re involved in an auto accident, please contact our claims office at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) and speak to one of our representatives, who will guide you through filing a claim. Please have all information available, such as other parties involved and their address/phone numbers. Once the claim is filed, an adjuster will contact you within one business day to go over your claim and discuss options that are available to you for repairs.
- What should we do if our business is damaged?
- To start the process, contact us or your agent to report the damage or loss. Next, you should:
- Look for potential safety risks. Take reasonable steps to correct them.
- Take reasonable steps to prevent further damage.
- Keep an accurate record of your repair expenditures.
- Separate items that may be cleaned and/or repaired.
- Check with your claim representative before you discard any items you plan to claim as damaged.
- Review your policy for specific coverage information.
- What happens after we report the claim?
- Once you have reported your claim, your personally assigned claim representative will contact you by the next business day (usually sooner!).
To expedite repairs, you can choose to get an estimate from a contractor of your choice or your adjuster may be able to provide you with a list of local contractors who have done work for our customers in the past.
Major damage may require contractor/engineer inspections. Some repairs may not be covered unless you purchased a specific endorsement.
- What do I do if I have damaged property?
- Make an inventory of damaged property. This inventory should be room-by-room, giving complete descriptions of the damaged property.
The description should include brand names, model numbers, age, purchase price and place of purchase.
- What if our business is unable to continue operations?
- Ask your personal claim representative about any business insurance or extra expense coverages that may be available under your policy.
Talk to your claim representative about any decisions regarding continuation or your business operations.
Have a question that you couldn't find here? Contact your American Family Insurance agent with your additional questions.
For claims related to storms, see Storm Info.
This website is for informational purposes only; it is not part of the insurance contract.