Reporting a Storm Claim
So what happens now?
The first step of the process is filing a loss report by calling our Claims Customer Care Center at1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) or contacting your American Family Insurance agent.
Once you reported your loss, there may be some questions that come to mind prior to the adjusters initial inspection.
We have answered these and other questions to help guide you. Please read the information carefully. The adjuster handling your claim is happy to answer any additional questions you have.
- Tell us where you can be reached
You have taken the first step by filing a loss report by calling our Claims Customer Care Center at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326). An adjuster contacts you at the telephone number you provided to arrange an appointment. If you are not able to stay in your home, please share your temporary address and phone number with your agent or adjuster so we can stay in touch with you.
A team of adjusters are working in your area. We intend to make initial contact with each affected property owner within several days after a claim is filed. In major disasters, with hundreds of homes destroyed or badly damaged, it may take us a little longer to contact policyholders. We appreciate your patience.
- Take measures to protect and clean up your property
There are several things you can do before the adjuster arrives at your property.
- Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. This prevents further damage from inclement weather. Share with your adjuster copies of bills and receipts for all materials/services purchased for temporary repairs.
- Separate damaged and undamaged property, and begin to compile a list of the damaged items.
- If you have access to a camera, take photographs of damage to your structure and the damaged personal property. Give a set of the photographs to your adjuster.
- Meet with the adjuster for an initial inspection of your property
An adjuster visits your property. The adjuster develops estimates on damage to your home and personal property. The amount of time spent on an investigation varies. A review of hail damage usually can be completed in one visit. An inspection of damage caused by a tornado may take several visits. Please try to be present during each appointment and point out all areas of concern.
- Compile an inventory of your damaged personal property
Your adjuster helps you compile a list of personal property damaged in the storm. The list should be as complete and accurate as possible. We understand this can be a time-consuming and emotional task, but do the best you can. A well-done list speeds up the claim process. After you complete the list, provide a copy to your adjuster.
- Meet with the adjuster to discuss your settlement
After the investigation is completed, the adjuster contacts you - in person or by telephone - to review your claim and discuss the settlement.
- Be careful in selecting a contractor
It is your responsibility to select a contractor and arrange for repairs. It is usually best to select a local contractor or repair service; one who has been in the area for several years, who is insured and bonded and who gives you a written guarantee.
As we work with you in the upcoming weeks, please feel free to ask questions and express all of your concerns. Thank you for insuring your property with American Family Insurance. We look forward to helping you.
If you need to file a claim, please call our Claims Customer Care Center at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326). You can also use our online claim form.