Homeowners insurance generally provides coverage for property damage caused by a wildfire. It also covers damage caused by water and slurry that's used by firefighters who are attempting to extinguish a wildfire.
Following are answers to commonly asked questions about insurance coverage and wildfires. American Family Insurance policyholders who have sustained wildfire damage should report their claims to our 24-hour Claims Customer Care Center at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) or their American Family Insurance agent.
- Civil authorities have ordered me to evacuate my home. Does my policy pay for food and lodging during this time?
Your homeowners policy pays for additional living expenses for up to two weeks if you are denied access to your home by the civil authorities. This includes reasonable motel and food expenses. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.
- Can I get an emergency advance payment?
Yes. If you have a covered loss and need emergency funds, we can provide you an advance payment. This advance payment is applied to your final claim settlement.
- What can I do with my pets?
- Your homeowners policy covers the cost of temporarily boarding domestic pets if civil authorities prohibit access to your home. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.
- Do I have coverage to replace trees that were damaged by the fire?
Homeowners insurance generally provides limited coverage for trees, shrubs and other plants directly damaged by fire. Normally, the limit is 5 percent of the coverage amount on your home, but no more than $500 for any one tree, shrub or plant.
- Is there anything I can do to help with the claim process?
Begin to compile a list of personal property and belongings you believe were damaged or destroyed by the fire. Briefly describe each item, including its age, current value, make, model and serial number.
- Who do I call to make repairs to my home?
You are free to select any contractor you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded and gives you a written guarantee for the work performed.
Have a question that you couldn't find here? Contact your American Family Insurance agent with your additional questions.