Farm Fence Safety
Make sure your fence keeps your animals under control.
Fences keep animals where they should be, and prevent them from going where they shouldnâ€™t be. Different animals need different types of fencing.* Here are general guidelines for barbwire cattle fencing:
- Fence should contain three to five wires.
- Top wire should be at least four feet from the ground.
- Bottom wire should be at least 18 inches off the ground.
- Center wires should be evenly spaced between the top and bottom wire.
- All wires should be tight and securely fastened to fence posts.
- Barbed wire should be at least 13-gauge.
- Posts should be no more than 16.5 feet apart; 12 feet is preferred.
- Posts should be anchored at least two-and-a-half feet in the ground and stand at least four feet above ground.
*Local ordinances may also dictate different fencing for different livestock.