Prevent Injury from Farm Hazards
Be safe around farm machinery.
When you head out to the fields for planting or harvesting, make safety a priority.
- Wear hearing and eye protection around running machinery.
- Use appropriate masks to filter dust and mold.
- If using chemicals, use chemical respirators. Wear appropriate gloves and protective clothing.
- Learn safe handling for all types of agricultural chemicals.
- Ventilate silo headspace at least 30 minutes before entering to remove concentrations of harmful — or lethal — gas.
- Always disengage the PTO before getting off a tractor.
- Never step across a rotating power shaft.
- Never wear loose fitting clothes around moving parts.
- When unhitching wagons or carts from a tractor, always use wheel blocks to prevent rollaway accidents.
- Make sure bystanders stay clear of the harvesting process.
- Closely supervise children in work areas.