Your home is your castle filled with the treasures of your life.
Home Protection Tips
Protect your home and personal belongings with these tips.
Indoor home protection
- DreamVault - With our Web-based home inventory tool, securely documenting your belongings has never been easier.
- Home Inventories - There's a variety of ways to keep track of what you own. Here are some suggestions.
- Interactive Home - Take a guided tour of a virtual house or apartment, and develop a checklist of how to make your real home safer.
- Tune Your Furnace – In addition to avoiding headaches, you’ll save some cash.
- Dryer Fire Safety - Reduce a common fire risk by keeping your lint trap clean.
- Electrical Safety - Get plugged in to safe electrical practices in your home.
- Smoke Alarms - These inexpensive devices help protect your home 24x7.
- Plumbing Inspection - With a regular look at your pipes, you can help some problems dry up and go away.
- Water Leaks - Keep an in-home drip from turning into a deluge.
- Water Heaters and Softeners - Know the signs when these units are about to fail.
- Sump Pump Preparation - Make sure your sump pump is always ready to keep your home from getting soaked.
- Dry Basements - Keep heavy rains and melting snow out of your lower level.
- Mold Prevention - Keep mold and related health hazards out of your home.
- Home Inspection Expectations - Having a home inspection? Keep these guidelines in mind.
- Carbon Monoxide Safety - Keep this silent killer from lurking in your home.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Make sure these protective devices are guarding your home.
- Slips and Falls – Prevent these all-too-common accidents with some simple precautions.
- Storage Unit Tips – Protect your off-site possessions properly.
- Home Winterization Tips – Stay warm and save money with these seasonal tips.
Outdoor protection for your home
- Roof Maintenance - Make sure your roof is giving you peak performance.
- Shingle Replacement – Keep your roof’s covering in top shape.
- Gutter Care – Keep this important part of your roof leaf free.
- Taking Care of Your Roof Video - Maximize the life of your roof with these tips.
- You and Ice Dams Video - What you should know about water, ice, snow and heat.
- Identifying Hail Damage - When hail strikes, be prepared to respond.
- Erosion Prevention - Keep your house on solid ground all year round.
- Pool Safety - Dive into safety for your home swimming pool.
- Grill Safety - Cook up a plan for a safe barbeque experience.
- Power Outages - Prepare now so the next storm doesn't leave you in the dark.
- Portable Generator Precautions – Here are some bright ideas for powering up safely.
- Earthquake Safety - What to do before, during and after a quake.
- Lawnmower Safety – Exercise caution with push mowers and riders.
- Snow Blower Safety – Keep safety at your side when clearing your driveway.
- Snow Removal Tips – Whether shoveling or using a snow blower, pace yourself.
- Storing Lawn Equipment – Your tools last longer when you keep them properly covered.
Protection for your apartment
- Your New Apartment – What do you have worth protecting between your new walls?
- Renters Checklist - How much renters insurance do you need? What will it cover? What about liability?
- Renters Insurance Has You Covered – Know your options when purchasing a renters policy.
- Renters Insurance and College - Is your away-from-home student adequately insured?
- Tour Our Virtual Apartment - We'll show you lots of items worth protecting with renters insurance.
- You and Renters Insurance Video - How would you replace your belongings if they were stolen from or damaged in your apartment?
Fire safety for your home
- Fire Extinguisher - Include fire extinguishers in your home safety plans.
- Holiday Fire Prevention - Keep your home safe and holidays happy with these preventive steps.
- Holiday Kitchen Fire Safety - Make fire prevention a key ingredient of your cooking masterpieces.
- Wildfire Safety - Keep blazes away from your precious property.
- Fireplace Safety - Keep the fire in your fireplace with these protective steps.
- Chimney and Fireplace Care – Keep the home fires burning safely.
- Space Heater Safety – Auxiliary heating units are handy, but require extra care.
Seasonal preparations for your home
- Flood Preparation - You don’t have to live in a flood plain to be at risk of flooding. Know how to prepare, respond and recover.
- Tornado Alerts - If a twister's approaching, we'll send warnings to your phone and email.
- Frozen Pipes - No matter where you live, take steps to keep water pipes from freezing.
- Tornado Resources - Be prepared before and after a twister comes.
- Home Winterization - Follow our hot tips for when the temperature dips.
- Prep Your Yard for Winter – Takes steps in fall for a lush yard in spring.
- Fall Home Protection - These autumnal precautions can save you some winter headaches.
- Snow Blower Preparation – Give your machine a tune-up before the snow flies.
Home coverage and security
- Proper Homeowners Coverage - Is your home adequately insured? Here are some factors to consider.
- How Much Insurance Do You Really Need? - No two people have the same insurance needs. Consider these factors when determining your coverage.
- Homeowners Endorsements - Add extra protection where you need it.
- Alternative Home Construction – What you need to know about non-traditional types of homes (houseboats, geodesic domes, etc.).
- Manufactured Homes – Factory-built homes can be a cost-effective way to enter the ranks of homeowners.
- Modular Homes – Discover the benefits of this easy-to-produce style of home.
- My Home is Damaged: Now What? Video - Take a step-by-step look at the American Family claim process.
- How to Select a Contractor - Consider this advice before hiring someone to complete your next renovation project.
- Disaster Planning - Be prepared for the most common disasters in your region.
- Prevent Post-Disaster Fraud - When disaster strikes, don't be a repeat victim. Watch out for unscrupulous contractors.
- Prevent Break-ins - When you're away, keep burglars at bay with these simple tips.
- Storage Security - Picking a good storage facility requires asking the right questions.