Your home is your castle filled with the treasures of your life.
Home Protection Tips
Use these resources to protect your dwelling inside and out.
- DreamVault - With our Web-based home inventory tool, securely documenting your belongings has never been easier.
- Interactive Home - Take a guided tour of a virtual house or apartment, and develop a checklist of how to make your real home safer.
- Electrical Safety - Get plugged in to safe electrical practices in your home.
- Plumbing Inspection - With a regular look at your pipes, you can help some problems dry up and go away.
- Sump Pump Preparation - Make sure your sump pump is always ready to keep your home from getting soaked.
- Dry Basements - Keep heavy rains and melting snow out of your lower level.
- Mold Prevention - Keep mold and related health hazards out of your home.
- Home Inspection Expectations - Having a home inspection? Keep these guidelines in mind.
- Carbon Monoxide Safety - Keep this silent killer from lurking in your home.
- Roof Maintenance - Make sure your roof is giving you peak performance.
- Taking Care of Your Roof Video - Maximize the life of your roof with these tips.
- You and Ice Dams Video - What you should know about water, ice, snow and heat.
- Identifying Hail Damage - When hail strikes, be prepared to respond.
- Erosion Prevention - Keep your house on solid ground all year round.
- Pool Safety - Dive into safety for your home swimming pool.
- Grill Safety - Cook up a plan for a safe barbeque experience.
- Power Outages - Prepare now so the next storm doesn't leave you in the dark.
- Portable Generator Precautions â€“ Here are some bright ideas for powering up safely.
- Earthquake Safety - What to do before, during and after a quake.
- Your New Apartment â€“ What do you have worth protecting between your new walls?
- Renters Insurance Has You Covered â€“ Know your options when purchasing a renters policy.
- Renters Insurance and College - Is your away-from-home student adequately insured?
- Tour Our Virtual Apartment - We'll show you lots of items worth protecting with renters insurance.
- You and Renters Insurance Video - How would you replace your belongings if they were stolen from or damaged in your apartment?
- Fire Extinguisher - Include fire extinguishers in your home safety plans.
- Holiday Fire Prevention - Keep your home safe and holidays happy with these preventive steps.
- Kitchen Fire Safety - Make fire prevention a key ingredient of your holiday recipes.
- Wildfire Safety - Keep blazes away from your precious property.
- Fireplace Safety - Keep the fire in your fireplace with these protective steps.
- Flood Preparation - You donâ€™t have to live in a flood plain to be at risk of flooding. Know how to prepare, respond and recover.
- Tornado Alerts - If a twister's approaching, we'll send warnings to your phone and email.
- Home Winterization - Follow our hot tips for when the temperature dips.
- Fall Home Protection - These autumnal precautions can save you some winter headaches.
Home coverage and security
- Proper Homeowners Coverage - Is your home adequately insured? Here are some factors to consider.
- My Home is Damaged: Now What? Video - Take a step-by-step look at the American Family claim process.
- Disaster Planning - Be prepared for the most common disasters in your region.
- Prevent Post-Disaster Fraud - When disaster strikes, don't be a repeat victim. Watch out for unscrupulous contractors.
- Prevent Break-ins - When you're away, keep burglars at bay with these simple tips.
- Storage Security - Picking a good storage facility requires asking the right questions.