Learning Center

Holiday Fire Prevention Tips

Protect your family and home this holiday season with these precautionary measures.

  • Leave at least a three-foot space around any heating appliance.
  • Turn off portable or space heaters before going to bed or leaving home.
  • Do not use heaters that burn kerosene (or similar fuels) inside your home. Such appliances, in confined spaces, can ignite fires and generate life-threatening carbon monoxide.
  • Get a carbon monoxide detector to alert you to high concentrations of this deadly gas.
  • Never store or use flammable liquids (including furniture stripper and gasoline) inside your home. The vapors from such liquids can ignite from stoves or water heaters.
  • Always store combustible materials away from furnaces and portable heaters.

Safety tips for holiday decorating

  • Keep your holiday tree well watered. Trees, especially when dry, can easily ignite from hot holiday lights.
  • Before adding them to a tree, check your bulbs to ensure they are working properly and that there are no shorts in the wiring.
  • Avoid using extension cords. If you must use one, make sure it has no cracks or frays and that it is UL approved. It should also be rated to carry enough electric load for the appliance. (The labels on the appliance and cord should have this information.)
  • When switching a fuse, only replace it with one of the same size.



These recommendations were developed using generally accepted safety standards. Compliance with these recommendations is not a guarantee that you will be in conformance with any building code, federal, state or local regulation regarding safety or fire. Compliance with these recommendations does not ensure the absolute safety of your occupation, business or residence. It is the property owner’s duty to warn any tenants or occupants of the property of any safety hazards that may exist.

Take Stock of Your Dreams

With our Web-based Home Inventory Tool.

Discover Dreamvault

You're invited to an open house!

Take a virtual tour of our Interactive Home, where safety is king of the castle.

Visit the Interactive Home