Yard Tool Storage Tips
Properly storing summer yard equipment will give you years of extra use.
Having a well-maintained yard is enjoyable and can add value to your home, but it takes a lot of work and some specialized tools. When the season’s over, take some time to properly store your summer lawn equipment. With a little attention, they’ll give you years of service.
Power tools (lawn mower, edger, tiller, etc.)
- For gas engines, drain the fuel system or use a fuel stabilizer.
- Clean or replace the air filter.
- Sharpen all blades and apply a light coat of oil to prevent corrosion.
- Clean all surface areas – including cutting decks – of debris and wipe clean.
- Lubricate all exposed cables, pivot points, hinges, etc., using a good-quality spray lubricant.
- Change oil if applicable (check owner’s manual for instructions).
- If you have a riding mower, remove the battery, clean it and store in a cool, dry place.
- Store tools in a dry, protected place such as your garage or a garden shed. Never store near pool chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers or next to a furnace, water heater or appliance with a pilot light.
- Clean with a hose and remove any remaining fertilizer.
- Oil bearings and any other sliding or rotating metal parts.
- On metal spreaders, wipe a thin coat of oil on the bottom of discharge ports.
- Removed any caked-on dirt or debris.
- Sharpen or replace blades on tools that cut or dig.
- Wipe down the metal with light oil to prevent corrosion.
- Check wooden handles for any splinters, breaks and cracks. Smooth weathered wood handles with medium-grit sandpaper and apply a thin coat of linseed oil. Replace if damaged.
- Keep tools off the ground.
- Drain and roll up hoses to prevent cracks from freezing.
- Store chemicals and fertilizers in a locked case away from children and pets.
Whenever possible, store your lawn equipment in a garage or shed. If you need to store them outside, protect them with a tarp. Taking a little bit of time at the end of the season to carefully store your lawn equipment will give you years of use from them.