Tune Up Your Furnace Before the Cold Comes
Stay warm this winter with a well-running, efficient heating system.
When the temperature dips, you call on your furnace to keep your home cozy and warm. The last thing you want is to wake to shivers in the middle of the night.
Before the heating season begins, get your furnace checked out to make sure it’s ready to give you uninterrupted winter comfort. An added benefit is that a well-running furnace uses less fuel, saving you money on heating costs.
A thorough furnace check-up is best left to a qualified technician. For most homes, a furnace check-up consists of the following steps:
- Inspect the thermostat for proper operation and calibration.
- Change or clean the air filter.
- Check all electrical components and controls.
- Oil motors as needed.
- Inspect the heat exchanger for possible cracks, which could allow carbon monoxide into your home.
- Check the air flow.
- Check the air/fuel mixture.
- Make certain that the flues and chimneys are properly connected, in good condition and not blocked.
There are also steps you can take to get the most out of your furnace.
- Change the air filters regularly.
- Be sure the thermostat is set in heating mode.
- Make sure your registers and vents are open and free of obstructions.