Privacy and Security Policy
General Privacy Notice
The companies of American Family Insurance Group (see Company Identification) recognize the importance of our customers’ trust. Keeping our customers’ personal information confidential is a top priority for all American Family Insurance employees, agents and staff. This notice, which is required by state and federal law, explains our privacy policies.
- We safeguard, according to strict standards of security and confidentiality, nonpublic, personal information our customers share with us. "Nonpublic, personal information" includes your name, address, Social Security number and credit information. We maintain safeguards, physical and electronic, to protect this information. We conduct our business in a manner that keeps personal customer information secure.
- We limit the collection and use of customer information to the minimum we require to deliver superior service and to administer our business. We collect personal information about customers from the following sources:
- From customers on insurance and loan applications and related forms;
- From your transactions with us, our affiliates or others;
- From consumer reporting agencies; and
- From your transactions with non-affiliated third parties.
- It is our policy that only authorized American Family Insurance employees, agents and their staff who need to know your personal information will access and use it. American Family Insurance workers who violate our privacy policies are subject to a disciplinary process.
- It is our policy not to share personal information on current and former customers outside American Family Insurance for any purpose other than the underwriting or administration of a customer’s policy/account, or for marketing additional American Family Insurance products, unless the disclosure has been authorized by the customer or is permitted or required by law.
- Whenever we retain other organizations to provide support services on behalf of American Family Insurance, we require them to protect customers’ personal information.
- To update your personal information, please contact your agent.
- When necessary, we review and revise our privacy policies to protect personal customer information.
To help ensure the security of personal and financial information that you submit through this website, we use security software to encrypt the information during its transmission. We only allow information to be submitted for transmission if your browser is compatible with our security software. If your browser is not compatible, you will receive a message indicating your transaction cannot be completed because of the security risk.
American Family Insurance uses a secure server and security protocol to safeguard any information you provide. The secure server implements the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol to interact with you when you provide personal information. This technology sends your data through an encrypted tunnel via 128-bit encryption so a third party cannot read the information while in transit. All personal information stored by American Family Insurance is housed securely.
Email messages are not secure. Our security software does not encrypt email messages. Unencrypted email messages traveling through the Internet are potentially subject to viewing, alteration and copying by others.
What Are “Web Cookies”?
Web cookies are small computer files that a website places on an Internet user's computer to store basic information. As a general rule, cookies help website operators serve their users better and more quickly. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent. Session cookies exist only during an Internet user's online session. They do not collect information from a user's computer, and they typically store information only in the form of session identification. Session cookies are erased from a user's computer when the user closes the browser software. Persistent cookies remain on a user's computer after the browser has been closed, and are stored on a user's hard drive until they expire or until the user deletes the cookie. Persistent cookies are used to collect identifying information about a user, such as Web surfing behavior or user preferences for a specific website.
How We Use Web Cookies
Health Information Privacy Notice (for health insurance policyholders)
We understand the personal nature of your medical information and are committed to protecting it. If you have an American Family health insurance policy, our policy administrator (American Enterprise Group Companies) provides you the following Notice of Privacy Practices for Health Information,1 effective Jan. 1, 2013.
1A PDF reader is required to open a PDF. American Family Insurance is not liable for any direct or indirect technical or system issues or consequences from your use of third-party technologies or programs accessible through our site.