Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
A Quick & Affordable Way to Protect Your Belongings
- Protect the valuable things you work hard for, at home or on the go.
- Customize your coverage — add-ons like Diminishing Deductible put cost-control in your hands.
- Coverage at an affordable cost — usually less per month than a couple of cups of coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions About Renters Insurance
Just look at your neighbor — no two renters are alike! That’s why we offer a variety of unique ways to protect you. From personal property protection to liability coverage, we work with you to build a policy that’s customized for you and your growing dreams. Here are just a few examples of the protection we offer — but your American Family agent can help you explore all your options!
- Your renters policy helps cover damage to your things from fire, theft, water damage and other covered losses. And, if your apartment becomes uninhabitable, we’ll help cover temporary housing expenses while it’s being prepared.
- Liability coverage will help you pay for property damage, first aid, medical and court costs should an accident happen in your rental, so you can stay focused on growing your dreams.
We LOVE pets — they are part of the family! However, having personal property coverage alone won’t cover Fido or Fluffy. Instead, we offer a special add-on pet coverage. It can provide up to $1000 for veterinary or final expenses for your dog, cat, fish or bird as a result of a covered loss. Additionally, keep in mind that the personal liability coverage limit also applies to injury and damages animals cause.
Absolutely. Just tell your agent about it — and they’ll get to work creating a policy that not only protects the stuff in your rental, but meets your lease agreement requirements, too.
While each policy is different, renters insurance is surprisingly affordable! In fact, most premiums cost less than a cup of specialty coffee each week.
Life is unpredictable ─ dreams can be sidetracked in many different ways. But you can count on us to have your back and help get things back to normal. Here are just a few examples of situations that are covered by renters insurance from American Family – some might surprise you!
- Your child hits a baseball into someone else’s window. If it was an accident, your renters insurance would cover the cost of replacing the window.
- There is a kitchen fire in the unit below you, which spreads to your unit. Your kitchen items are destroyed and there’s smoke damage to your furniture and clothes. Your renters insurance would cover the cost of cleaning your stuff and help replace the belongings that you’ve lost.
- If you can't live in your apartment because it’s being repaired for smoke and fire damage, your renters insurance would pay for your hotel and meals until your unit is move-in ready again.
- If someone steals your watch, wallet, and smartphone from your car when you are at the park playing ultimate Frisbee, your renters insurance would cover it.
- If your friend walks across your freshly-washed kitchen floor, slips, and breaks a leg, your renters insurance would help pay for his/her medical bills.
- If your bike, located in a storage unit not connected to your apartment unit, was stolen, your renters insurance would replace it.
And that’s just the start. Want to feel empowered about your protection? Let your agent walk you through what your policy covers.
It’s important to have enough protection to cover the costs of replacing your belongings in the event of the unexpected. From laptops and TVs to sports equipment and your favorite clothing, the value of your personal property can add up quickly!
How to Get Renters Insurance
Provide some basic info
You’ll provide your name, address and a few other details in our quoting tool.
Confirm your coverage needs
Based on the value of your belongings and coverage needs, you’ll select appropriate levels of coverage for your policy.
Review and purchase
Once complete, you’ll review your policy details, select your payment method and check-out to get your renters insurance coverage in minutes!
Secure Your Policy from the Comfort of Home
Getting great renters coverage is fast, easy and affordable! Cross one more thing off your to-do list by getting covered today. Start receiving coverage immediately, without having to visit an agent’s office or make any phone calls.