Build a Storm Survival Kit
Take steps to stay safe in the wake of a storm.
After a tornado or other severe weather, basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment and telephones may be cut off for several days or more. A disaster supply kit can help you greatly during such outages.
Make sure your supply kit includes the following items:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days.
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food.
- A battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- A first aid kit.
- A whistle to signal for help.
- A dust mask to help filter contaminated air.
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to fashion a temporary shelter.
- Hand sanitizer, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
- A wrench and pliers to turn off utilities.
- A manual can opener for food.
- A solar cell phone charger.