Farm Fence Safety
Make sure your fence keeps your animals under control.
Fences keep animals where they should be, and prevent them from going where they shouldn’t be. Different animals need different types of fencing.* Here are general guidelines for barbwire cattle fencing:
- Fence should contain three to five wires.
- Top wire should be at least four feet from the ground.
- Bottom wire should be at least 18 inches off the ground.
- Center wires should be evenly spaced between the top and bottom wire.
- All wires should be tight and securely fastened to fence posts.
- Barbed wire should be at least 13-gauge.
- Posts should be no more than 16.5 feet apart; 12 feet is preferred.
- Posts should be anchored at least two-and-a-half feet in the ground and stand at least four feet above ground.
*Local ordinances may also dictate different fencing for different livestock.