Get Our Monthly E-tips

Receive tips to protect your dreams, while helping keep your family safe and secure. Sign up for our free monthly e-newsletter.

Sign up now! >

American Family mobilizing personnel to help customers impacted by Black Forest Wildfire in Colorado

Madison, Wis. (June 12, 2013) – Claims employees from American Family Insurance are monitoring the wildfire situations north and east of Colorado Springs and are meeting with customers impacted by the evacuations.

"We have adjusters on alert throughout the area ready to inspect and settle claims as soon as authorities grant access to the fire-ravaged areas," said Bob Tamminga, Denver property branch claim manager. "In the meantime, we will continue to provide support and information to those who have immediate needs."

American Family customers who have claims should immediately contact the company's 24-hour Customer Care Center – 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326). They can also report claims to their local American Family agent, or online at


How do I report my claim?

To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) — or your American Family agent.

For citizens who have not been ordered to evacuate, American Family recommends taking some time to document their possessions with the DreamVault app. This no-cost resource enables you to upload pictures of your belongings and add descriptions. The information lives in "the cloud" - not just on your personal computer or smart phone – so you can access it from a variety of devices with an internet connection.


How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Customer Care Center, 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or your American Family agent or complete our online insurance claim form.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy provides coverage for damage to your home and personal property caused by fire, smoke, water and slurry dropped from aircraft.

Civil authorities have ordered me to evacuate my home. Does my policy pay for food and lodging during this time? Your homeowners policy pays for additional living expenses for up to two weeks if you are denied access to your home by the civil authorities. This includes reasonable motel and food expenses. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Can I get an emergency advance payment? Yes. If you have a covered loss and need emergency funds, we can provide you an advance payment. This advance payment will be applied to your final claim settlement.

Does my policy have coverage for boarding pets? Yes, your homeowners policy covers the cost of temporarily boarding domestic pets, other than livestock, if civil authorities prohibit access to your home. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Do I have coverage to replace trees that were damaged by the fire? Homeowners insurance generally provides limited coverage for trees, shrubs and other plants directly damaged by fire. Normally, the limit is 5 percent of the coverage amount on your home, but no more than $500 for any one tree, shrub or plant.

Is there anything I can do to help with the claim process? Begin to compile a list of personal property and belongings you believe were damaged or destroyed by the fire. Briefly describe each item, including its age, current value, make, model and serial number.

Who do I call to make repairs to my home? You are free to select any contractor you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.

Sandra Spann
American Family Insurance

(608) 242-4100, ext. 32881

To learn how you can protect your home from wildfires please visit our Learning Center.

American Family insurance is the nation's third-largest mutual property/casualty insurance company and ranks 393rd on the Fortune 500 list. Web:; Facebook:; Twitter: