Get Our Monthly E-tips

Receive tips to protect your dreams, while helping keep your family safe and secure. Sign up for our free monthly e-newsletter.

Sign up now! >

Twin Cities hail storm at a glance: American Family Insurance

Dateline: Madison, Wis., Aug. 8, 2013

Event: Hail storm on Tuesday, Aug. 6 in the counties south and west of Minneapolis. Storm produced large hail. American Family Insurance’s catastrophe team is partnering with the local office in handing both property and auto claims.

Media contact: Steve Witmer, American Family Insurance Media Relations, (608) 242-4100, ext. 32121

Communities affected: Carver, Dakota, Hennepin and Scott counties, along with Pope County in west-central Minnesota

Type of damage we're seeing: Hail stones up to 2 inches in diameter damaged roofs, gutters, siding, decks, air conditioners and other property. Also dented automobiles and broke windshields.

Telephone number for customers to call to report a claim, schedule a claims inspection: 24-hour Customer Care Center — 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326)

Number/type of claims we have so far: 800 property insurance claims and 600 auto insurance claims

Number/type of claims we expect to receive: Property insurance claims – up to 6,500. Auto insurance claims – up to 4,500

American Family is saying:

We recognize many vehicles are in an undriveable condition, and we will go to residences and body shops to inspect those damaged vehicles.

Local office(s) responding to serve our customers: Eden Prairie branch office and the property claims field staff

Drive-in auto claims location (appointments necessary):

One drive in location in East Bloomington is expected to open on Friday Aug. 9. A second location is planned, but the site has not yet been determined.

Catastrophe team on-site personnel:

About 70 catastrophe personnel will serve our customers.


How do I report my insurance claim?

To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) — or your American Family agent.

What damages to my property might be covered by my insurance?

Your homeowners insurance policy covers wind and hail damage to your home and personal property. The "comprehensive" section of your auto insurance policy provides coverage for wind and hail damage to your vehicle.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage?

You should protect your property immediately against further damage and theft. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep the receipts of any materials/services that you purchase to make these repairs so your adjuster can review them and reimburse you for expenses covered by your policy.

Who do I call to make repairs?

You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one that has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed. Based in Madison, Wis., American Family Insurance offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, business and farm/ranch insurance in 19 states. American Family Mutual Insurance Company is the nation's third-largest mutual property/casualty insurance company.

Web:; Facebook:; Twitter: Google+