Roof Maintenance Tips to Protect Your Home
*Discount availability and eligibility varies by state and policy terms.
Hiring a Roofing Contractor
If you’ve given your roof a good review and decided it’s time for repairs or replacement, the next step is to hire a roofing contractor you can trust. Find peace of mind by asking a few key questions.
- How long have you been in the business?
- Are you bonded and insured, including worker’s compensation and general liability?
- Do you have the appropriate licenses for my community?
- Can I call your customers for a reference?
- Are you willing to put all agreements, promises and understanding in writing?
Remember, the cost to replace a roof varies according to the market, roofing materials, the roofing contractor, the pitch (or steepness) of the roof, the area to be covered and other factors.
Are Roofs Covered Under Homeowners Insurance?
If your home, including your roof, is damaged, our homeowners coverage works hard to help you regroup and restore. And if your home isn’t livable while things are being repaired or rebuilt, we may even help cover temporary housing expenses. Take a look at our roof replacement coverage page to learn how your homeowners insurance covers roof damage, and in the meantime, here’s the gist of what you should know.
- With American Family Insurance, your base homeowners policy provides actual cash value coverage for wind and hail damage to roofing systems.
- Replacement cost value coverage for wind and hail damage to roofs is available as an optional coverage.
- Roof losses for all other perils (e.g., falling objects) are covered at replacement cost.
- Cosmetic hail damage coverage for metal roof or siding is available as an optional coverage.
The answers you need. Have questions about protecting your home with the right coverage? View our home insurance FAQs.
Need to file a claim? Our industry-leading claims service is focused on helping you regroup and restore, with as little interruption as possible. Let's get started.
Want to make sure you have the right coverage for your home and roof? Your American Family agent is ready to help!
Related Topics: Home DIY