Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
Renters insurance provides you with personal property, liability and loss of use coverage so that you’re prepared should the unexpected happen — especially since your landlord’s insurance only covers the building, not the stuff inside.
Just look at your neighbor — no two renters are alike! That’s why we offer a variety of unique ways to protect you. From personal property protection to liability coverage, we work with you to build a policy that’s customized for you and your growing dreams. Here are just a few examples of the protection we offer — but your American Family agent can help you explore all your options!
- Your renters policy helps cover damage to your things from fire, theft, water damage and other covered losses. And, if your apartment becomes uninhabitable, we’ll help cover temporary housing expenses while it’s being prepared.
- Liability coverage will help you pay for property damage, first aid, medical and court costs should an accident happen in your rental, so you can stay focused on growing your dreams.
While each policy is different, renters insurance is surprisingly affordable! In fact, most premiums cost less than a cup of specialty coffee each week. Connect with your agent to learn more and get a quote that’s specific to you.
Great question! Your landlord’s insurance only covers the building you live in, not what’s inside your apartment. That’s why renters insurance is so important — it helps replace your belongings if anything unexpected happens — like fire, theft, water damage and more. Your renters policy also provides you with liability coverage if you accidently cause damage to the building or injury to a guest or another tenant.
Absolutely. Just tell your agent about it — and they’ll get to work creating a policy that not only protects the stuff in your rental, but meets your lease agreement requirements, too.
It’s important to have enough protection to cover the costs of replacing your belongings in the event of the unexpected. From laptops and TVs to sports equipment and your favorite clothing, the value of your personal property can add up quickly!
Making a claim is never fun, but we do our best to make it as easy and stress-free as possible for you. If you experience a loss, simply call 1-800-MYAMFAM (692-6326) and we’ll work with you to restore or replace your damaged or lost belongings. Take a closer look at our claims process here.
Unfortunately, no (sorry, roomie!). Because they’re not insured under your renters policy, they do not get the property or liability coverage that you do. They’ll need to purchase their own coverage to protect their stuff. We can help them with that, though!
Good question! Before you pack your suitcase, check with your agent to make sure your most valuable items are covered while you’re traveling. If you’re traveling abroad, they’ll help you add travel protection to your policy so you’ve got peace of mind while you’re away. Bon Voyage!
Life is unpredictable ─ dreams can be sidetracked in many different ways. But you can count on us to have your back and help get things back to normal. Here are just a few examples of situations that are covered by renters insurance from American Family – some might surprise you!
- Your child hits a baseball into someone else’s window. If it was an accident, your renters insurance would cover the cost of replacing the window.
- There is a kitchen fire in the unit below you, which spreads to your unit. Your kitchen items are destroyed and there’s smoke damage to your furniture and clothes. Your renters insurance would cover the cost of cleaning your stuff and help replace the belongings that you’ve lost.
- If you can't live in your apartment because it’s being repaired for smoke and fire damage, your renters insurance would pay for your hotel and meals until your unit is move-in ready again.
- If someone steals your watch, wallet, and smartphone from your car when you are at the park playing ultimate Frisbee, your renters insurance would cover it.
- If your friend walks across your freshly-washed kitchen floor, slips, and breaks a leg, your renters insurance would help pay for his/her medical bills.
- If your bike, located in a storage unit not connected to your apartment unit, was stolen, your renters insurance would replace it.
And that’s just the start. Want to feel empowered about your protection? Let your agent walk you through what your policy covers.
That’s where your liability coverage kicks in. It’ll help cover costs due to accidental bodily injury and lawsuit expenses should something happen in your apartment.
We’re always on the lookout for ways to make your life easier. That’s why we offer several ways to pay your bill:
- Online Billing - Receive your bills online and set up your payments however you like. Enroll now!
- Automated Funds Transfer (AFT) - Payments are automatically deducted from your checking or savings account. A bill is sent only when changes are made to your billing account. Contact your agent for set-up assistance.
- Pay Now — Make a one-time payment online.
- Pay by Phone — Call 1-866-424-8002 to pay using our automated phone system.
- Online Bank or Bill Payer Service — Set up electronic payments through an online bank or bill payer service.
- Pay by Mail — Mail your payment using the detachable payment stub on your bill.
Not to mention, you could save on your policy if you take advantage of our AutoPay, Full Pay and Paperless Discounts!
We LOVE pets — they are part of the family! However, having personal property coverage alone won’t cover Fido or Fluffy. Instead, we offer a special add-on pet coverage. It can provide up to $1000 for veterinary or final expenses for your dog, cat, fish or bird as a result of a covered loss. Additionally, keep in mind that the personal liability coverage limit also applies to injury and damages animals cause.
Your American Family agent can share all the details and help you plan protection for your friends.
Kicking off your renters policy is quick and easy! You can get a quote at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) or talk to an agent, whichever is more convenient for you. Be sure to have your address handy, know the approximate number of units in your building and have an idea of how much your personal property is worth. We’ll handle the rest!
The easiest and most convenient way to cancel a policy with American Family insurance is to call your agent. Not sure how to reach yours? Find them using our agent locator.
Our customer care center is also available 24/7 at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326) — they can help direct you to your agent or submit a cancellation request form to your agent on your behalf.