AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Last Modified On: December 5, 2019
This California Privacy Notice supplements the American Family Insurance General Privacy Notice and applies solely to the individuals who reside in California (“consumers”). We have adopted this policy to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
Information We Collect
We may have collected the following categories of personal information from our consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
- Identifying Information - name, address, date of birth, email address, phone numbers, bank account number, credit/debit card number
- Consumer report information, including claims history
- Names of family members or other residents of your household
- Information you provide about your dwelling as part of an application for insurance
- Information that you may have provided during the resolution of an insurance claim
We collect personal information about consumers from the following sources:
- Insurance and loan applications and related forms
- Transactions with us, our affiliates or others
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Transactions with non-affiliated third parties
How We Use Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business or commercial purposes:
- Insurance policy sales
- Insurance policy administration
- Claims and investigations
- Research and analytics
- Fulfilling legal and regulatory obligations
How We Share Personal Information
We do not sell the personal information of the individuals whose personal information we have obtained.
Your personal information may be disclosed to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract with the recipient that describes the purpose for sharing the information and requires the recipient to protect that personal information.
We disclose personal information to third parties and service providers, including:
- Other insurance institutions, financial institutions, agents, or insurance support organizations
- Persons who perform a business, professional, or insurance function for us
- Businesses that conduct actuarial or research studies
- Insurance regulatory authorities
- Law enforcement or other governmental authorities
- Our affiliated companies who assist our insurance business activities
Your Rights and How to Exercise Them
The CCPA grants consumers (California residents) various rights with respect to the personal information that a business collects about the consumer. These rights include the right for the consumer to access the personal information the business has about the consumer and the right for the consumer to request that the business delete the personal information the business has about the consumer.
Access Request Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information. Once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Exercising Access and Deletion Rights), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or disclosing personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
Deletion Request Rights
Subject to certain exceptions, you have the right to request that we delete any of the personal information that we collected from you and have retained. Unless an exception applies, once we receive your request and confirm your identity (see Exercising Access and Deletion Rights), we will delete your personal information from our records and direct our service providers to delete your personal information from their records.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access and deletion rights described above, please submit a request to us by either:
- Completing the request form found HERE
- Calling us toll-free at (844) 904-1030
Only you, or an authorized agent appointed to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your personal information. You may also make a request on behalf of your minor child. If you are submitting a request on behalf of someone else, you will need to provide proof that you have been authorized by the consumer to make the request for them. To do so, please complete the form found HERE and email or mail it back to the contact information indicated below (see Contact Information).
You may only make an access request twice within a 12-month period.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. In order to verify your identity, we need sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information, which may include:
- First, middle, and last name
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Policy or claim number
We will only use the personal information provided to us in a request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
We will confirm we received your request within ten (10) days of receiving the request. We will respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to an additional 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing by mail or electronically based on your preference.
If you choose to exercise your CCPA rights, we will not discriminate against you based on that choice by:
- Denying you goods or services.
- Charging you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Providing you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggesting that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of service.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on our website (amfam.com) and update the notice's effective date. Your continued use of our website following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, the ways in which we collect and use your information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please contact us at:
Phone: (844) 904-1030
American Family Insurance
Attn: Corporate Compliance
6000 American Parkway
Madison, WI, 53783