Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
Better Hurricane Prep
Living in a coastal region can be exotic and exciting, with gorgeous weather and plenty of fun to be had at the ocean’s shore.
But what about hurricanes? Prepare yourself and your loved ones for the unexpected with our handy guide to protecting your home, family and dreams.
3 WAYS TO PREP FOR HURRICANE SEASON
- Update your Home Inventory at least once a year, including photographs, so that you have the latest record of your possessions and home condition.
- Create an evacuation plan well before the season starts that includes a safe evacuation route and inland shelter.
- Pack your Natural Disaster Emergency Kit with extra batteries for flashlights, bottles of water, and non-perishable foods.
5 THINGS TO DURING IN A HURRICANE WATCH
- Pay attention to local weather reports on radio, television, or the internet.
- Protect windows with plywood boards or storm shutters and put away any outdoor furniture, recreation supplies, bird feeders, etc.
- Confirm you have several days’ supply of fuel, food and water for each family member.
- Put extra ice in freezers and round up coolers to keep food safe should the electricity go out.
- If called to evacuate or if you’re in a low-lying area, get to a safe place as soon as possible.
5 THINGS TO DURING IN A HURRICANE WARNING
- Stay in your safest room, away from windows.
- Keep your emergency kit, including flashlights, on hand.
- Monitor weather and Civil Service Bulletins on either regular or NOAA radio.
- Stay inside when the eye moves over your area because the storm will resume shortly.
Don’t go outside until the storm has passed.
3 WAYS TO STAY SAFE AFTER THE STORM
- Stay away from dangerous areas, such as shorelines where the storm surge may still be active, downed power lines and flooded areas.
- Take photos of the damage done to your home and autos.
- If you have damage, call our Claims Customer Care Center at or contact your American Family agent. We’ll be by your side every step of the way to keep your life moving forward.