Storage Unit Safety 101
Over time, dreams change and our home has to reflect our shifting needs and aspirations. If you’re downsizing or de-cluttering your home, renting a storage unit may be the perfect solution for safeguarding your extra belongings.
Make sure the storage company you choose is dedicated to keeping your things safe. Here are some tips for picking a company you can trust:
- Make sure their facilities are constructed using fire-resistant materials.
- Learn about their security efforts – well-run facilities provide electronic gates with coded access, an on-site manager, monitored video surveillance, adequate lighting, individual door alarms and personal locks available for purchase.
- Choose a facility that offers climate-controlled space, always maintaining a temperature of 55-85 degrees – this will help protect your belongings from extreme temperatures.
- Double check that your unit would have roll-up doors that close and lock.
- Make sure the roof is in good repair with no sign of interior leaks.
- Check that the facility prohibits the storage of hazardous material.
Once you’ve chosen a storage company, talk to your agent to learn more about how your policy can protect your items while in storage and protect your dreams for years to come.