Sauna Safety Checklist
With its many health benefits, adding a sauna to the exercise area of your business can be a really smart move! But it’s important to follow the proper guidelines. So, use this checklist to keep safety top of mind and ensure that you’re following best practices. It’s a good idea to run through it once or twice a year – this way you’ll know things are continuing to operate smoothly.
Sauna RulesWhen it comes to the last point above, you’ll want to make sure your sauna rules sign covers all the bases. Here is some typical information you should consider including:
- Children ages five and under are not permitted in the sauna.
- Children between the ages of six and 16 must be accompanied by an adult in the sauna at all times.
- Allow yourself at least five minutes after exercising to cool down before entering the sauna.
- Pregnant women and persons suffering from heart disease, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, circulatory or respiratory problems, seizures or epilepsy should not enter the sauna without prior medical consultation.
- Do not use the sauna while under the influence of any type of alcohol, drugs, anticoagulants, antihistamines, vasoconstrictor, vasodilators, stimulants, hypnotics, narcotics or tranquilizers.
- Clean swim attire must be worn and participants are required to bring a towel to sit on when using the sauna.
- Remove all metal jewelry prior to entering the sauna.
- The surface of the rocks, heater and surrounding area can be extremely hot. Exercise caution.
- Prolonged use of sauna not recommended due to fatiguing effects. Limit yourself to a maximum of 15 minutes.
- Do not smoke, exercise, eat or drink beverages in the sauna room.
- Leave the sauna immediately if you experience any nausea, dizziness, hot flashes, cold chills, headaches or other discomfort.
- Drink plenty of fluids before and after leaving the sauna.
- Use of chlorinated pool or spa water and oil on heating rocks is prohibited in a wet sauna.
- This sauna is a dry sauna. Please do not pour water on the electric coals. (If applicable)
- Do not use the sauna to dry clothes, swimsuits or towels or place materials near the heater or guard fence.
- Newspapers, magazines, or other reading materials are prohibited.
- After using the sauna, participants must shower prior to entering the pool or whirlpool.
- If repair or assistance is needed, contact [INSERT YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION].