Everything you need to know about insurance basics, like coverage types, limits, cost and more.
Renters Insurance Coverages
You may not own your home, but your belongings transform your apartment into a place that’s uniquely yours. From electronics, to furniture, to décor, your belongings mean a lot to you and we're here to keep them protected. Odds are your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your stuff, and that’s where we come in.
American Family renters insurance safeguards you from the unexpected. And because we know no two renters are alike, our customizable coverages help protect the things that matter most to you — giving you the confidence you need to stress less focus on your future.
What does Renters Insurance Cover?
Whether you rent a loft in your city’s downtown, or a duplex in an up-and-coming neighborhood, our protection can be customized to fit your unique lifestyle.
Covered By Renters Insurance
- Your stuff, like clothes, furniture & electronics if damaged by fire, theft or covered water event
- Medical bills & lawsuit related expenses if an apartment guest is accidentally injured
- Hotel costs in case of unexpected covered event like fire or storm damage
- Theft of your stuff while you're on the go, like if your computer gets stolen at the coffee shop
Not Covered By Renters Insurance
- Your roommate's stuff
- Pets, but we do have an add-on pet coverage
- Home businesses run from your rented space
- Over $1,500 in jewelry
Standard Renters Insurance Coverages
Renters Property Protection
Because we know it's your stuff that makes your rental a home, our personal property coverage helps you with the costs of replacing your things should they be damaged by fire, theft, water damage and other covered losses.
Renters Personal Liability
Accidents happen. And, as a renter, you can be held responsible for injuries to guests or damage to your apartment building. Our liability coverage could help you pay for property damage, first aid, medical and court costs.
Loss of Use Coverage
Should your rental become uninhabitable due to a covered loss, our loss of use coverage will help you pay for additional living expenses — such as food or a hotel room.
Optional Renters Insurance Coverages
Identity Theft Protection
Protect your good name and your credit with this low-cost coverage, which protects you against the high costs of restoring your credit and identity.
Pet Insurance for Renters
Protect Fido or Fluffy up to $1,000 in coverage. This will help cover certain veterinary costs and final expenses for your pet if they're hurt during a covered loss.
Travel Protection for Renters
Whether you're traveling within your state or across the world, this protection provides a variety of coverages — such as trip cancellation and global medical insurance — to keep you and your belongings safe while you're away.
Growing your business dream from the comfort of your home office? We offer liability coverage and business property protection for small-scale, home-based businesses, so you can worry less about the logistics and focus more on your entrepreneurial ventures.
Save for the Unexpected With Diminishing Deductible Coverage
When you have a renters insurance claim, you’ll have to pay a deductible before your insurance covers the costs of the repairs or replacement costs. At American Family Insurance, we know that a deductible isn’t always the easiest thing to pay after an unexpected event. But with our Diminishing Deductible, we hope to ease that burden by offering a way to reduce your deductible amount. Here’s how it works:
Earn Credit Immediately
We’ll credit your deductible $100* day one. Let’s say you have a $1,000 deductible. Good news — it just dropped to $900.
Watch Your Deductible Diminish
Your deductible will continue to reduce each year at policy renewal, up to your policy’s maximum limit, as long as you maintain your policy with us.
Savings When You Need It
If you have a claim, you’ll pay a reduced deductible amount thanks to your Diminishing Deductible coverage. Your deductible then resets, so you’ll go right back to earning a reduced deductible amount.
Learn more about Diminishing Deductible coverage >
Renters Insurance Discounts
Try these simple ways to save on your renters insurance coverage.
Bundle & Save
Save up to 5% when you bundle your renters and auto policies with American Family Insurance.**
Save time, stamps, checks and money! When you enroll in automatic funds transfer (AFT) or electronic recurring payments you qualify for a discount.
Smart Home Discount
If your home is equipped with one or more qualifying smart home devices — such as a smoke/fire alarm system, water/moisture detection system, or a Ring Video Doorbell — you could be in for a better rate.
How Much Renters Insurance Coverage Do I Need?
To determine an appropriate renters insurance coverage amount, take a look at how much stuff you own. Typically, you can add up all of your belongings in your apartment and use that as an estimate to start. It’s important to make sure your coverage limit is enough to help cover the cost to replace your belongings should the unexpected happen. Your agent can help you factor in how your location affects the cost and also add any optional coverages, like identity theft protection, equipment breakdown coverage and extended coverage for your jewelry items. They’ll also help you select a liability limit.
How Much Would it Cost to Replace All Your Stuff?
Enter how much your belongings are worth and we’ll help you estimate how much it’d cost to replace everything you own and how much it’d cost to cover it all with renters insurance.
Got Rental Coverage Questions? We've got answers.
Insurance doesn't have to be complicated. Let's skip the confusing jargon and get the answers you need!
Absolutely. Just tell your agent about it — and they'll get to work creating a policy that not only protects the stuff in your rental, but meets your lease agreement requirements, too.
Because they're not insured under your renters policy, they do not get the property or liability coverage that you do. They'll need to purchase their own coverage to protect their stuff. We can help them with that, though!
We’re always on the lookout for ways to make your life easier. That’s why we offer several ways to pay your bill:
- Online Billing - Receive your bills online and set up your payments however you like. Enroll now!
- Automated Funds Transfer (AFT) - Payments are automatically deducted from your checking or savings account. A bill is sent only when changes are made to your billing account. Contact your agent for set-up assistance.
- Pay Now — Make a one-time payment online.
- Pay by Phone — Call 1-866-424-8002 to pay using our automated phone system.
- Online Bank or Bill Payer Service — Set up electronic payments through an online bank or bill payer service.
- Pay by Mail — Mail your payment using the detachable payment stub on your bill.
Not to mention, you could save on your policy if you take advantage of our AutoPay, Full Pay and Paperless Discounts!
Life is unpredictable ─ dreams can be sidetracked in many different ways. But you can count on us to have your back and help get things back to normal. Here are just a few examples of situations that are covered by renters insurance from American Family – some might surprise you!
- Your child hits a baseball into someone else’s window. If it was an accident, your renters insurance would cover the cost of replacing the window.
- There is a kitchen fire in the unit below you, which spreads to your unit. Your kitchen items are destroyed and there’s smoke damage to your furniture and clothes. Your renters insurance would cover the cost of cleaning your stuff and help replace the belongings that you’ve lost.
- If you can't live in your apartment because it’s being repaired for smoke and fire damage, your renters insurance would pay for your hotel and meals until your unit is move-in ready again.
- If someone steals your watch, wallet, and smartphone from your car when you are at the park playing ultimate Frisbee, your renters insurance would cover it.
- If your friend walks across your freshly-washed kitchen floor, slips, and breaks a leg, your renters insurance would help pay for his/her medical bills.
- If your bike, located in a storage unit not connected to your apartment unit, was stolen, your renters insurance would replace it.
And that’s just the start. Want to feel empowered about your protection? Let your agent walk you through what your policy covers.
Making a claim is never fun, but we do our best to make it as easy and stress-free as possible for you. If you experience a loss, simply call 1-800-MYAMFAM (692-6326) and we’ll work with you to restore or replace your damaged or lost belongings. Take a closer look at our claims process.
Save Money by Bundling Renters & Car Insurance
Looking for ways to save on your insurance? It’s as simple as bundling your renters and car coverages. Save up to 5% when you bundle your renters and auto policies with American Family Insurance.**
Get a bundled insurance quote today.
Get the MyAmFam App
From accessing your account and managing your payments to filing a claim and tracking your status, the MyAmFam app is packed with features to make managing your insurance easier. Download it today!
*Maximum limit of $500 for renter insurance, condo insurance and manufactured home insurance.
**Customers who bundle auto and renters policies may save up to 5% on both policies together (as of January 2022). Discounts may vary by state, property, policy form and company underwriting the auto and/or property policy. Discounts may not apply to all coverages on an auto or property policy.