a man and a woman with luggage

Loss of Use Coverage

Home Insurance Add-On

Loss of use coverage helps pay for temporary living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable after a covered loss.*

Learn More


What is loss of use coverage?

Loss of use (Coverage D) is a part of standard home insurance policies. It helps pay for additional living expenses, such as a hotel, if a covered event damages your home, making it unfit to live in while repairs are made.*
shield divider

How Loss of Use Coverage Protects You

Additional living expense coverage helps protect you from unexpected losses to keep your dreams on track.
Learn more from the following examples.
Did you know?
If you file a claim, you can confirm which additional living expenses qualify for reimbursement. Then keep detailed records of those expenses.
a bed with a blue and white bed spread

Temporary Housing**

You had a kitchen fire and must move out while the damages are repaired. Your homeowners insurance policy’s additional living expense coverage helps pay for your hotel stay.
a person and a child with a car with a yellow object on top

Increased Transportation Costs**

Your daily commute from your new temporary residence has increased by 4 miles. The loss of use portion of your homeowners insurance helps pay for the added mileage.
a person in a grocery store

Added Food Costs**

Your monthly grocery bill has doubled now that you’re staying in a hotel while your home is restored. Your homeowners insurance policy’s loss of use coverage helps reimburse you for the increase.
a man writing on a laptop

Increased Utilities**

Your temporary rental isn’t equipped with energy-efficient appliances, and your electric bill is higher than usual. Your home insurance policy’s additional living expense coverage mitigates the added cost.
a couple of cars parked on the side of a street

New Parking Fees**

You temporarily moved into a hotel with a daily parking fee of $10. Your homeowners insurance policy’s loss of use coverage helps reimburse you for the charges.
a person and a child sitting on a couch with a dog

Pet Boarding Costs**

Your short-term rental doesn’t allow pets, so you must board your dog while your home is repaired. The additional living expense coverage in your home insurance policy helps cover the charges.
question mark

Frequently Asked Questions

Trusted by over 12 Million Customers & Counting

a white t-shirt with blue text

90+ Years

Over 90 years in business protecting our customers
a blue star with a black background

Ranked by Forbes

Named one of America’s Best Insurance Companies by Forbes†

Forbes 2024 America’s Best Insurance Companies


12 Million Customers

Reliable, quality coverage for customers across 19 states

Start Your Quote

Customize your experience
Do It Yourself - Start a Quote

Do It Yourself

Go your own way – get quick pricing and coverage options online.
Work With An Agent

Work with an Expert

Find the perfect agent for you and get free, no-pressure advice.