a group of men sitting outside

Personal Property Coverage for RVs

Over time, you’ve probably collected many belongings to make your camper or motorhome feel like a second home. And while you’re out on the road enjoying your adventure, you deserve peace of mind that the things you work hard for are protected — and that’s where personal property protection comes in.

What Is Personal Property Coverage for Campers and Motorhomes?

You may think that insurance for your RV only covers you if there are damages to the actual vehicle. And while that’s true, your personal property coverage from your RV insurance policy also helps protect the belongings inside your RV.

The personal property in your camper or motorhome are protected if contained in, attached to or being used in connection with your camper or motorhome (within 25 feet) at the time of a covered loss. For example, if your RV is in a collision with another vehicle and your TV gets smashed, we’ll help cover the cost to repair or replace the TV. Or if your unit is stolen and the belongings inside it are damaged or not returned, your personal property coverage will help cover the cost to repair or replace your property.

Remember, if theft of property occurs from your RV unit, but the unit itself isn’t stolen or damaged, you won’t be covered. There is some coverage under your homeowner’s insurance but this is subject to the deductibles on that policy.

How Much Coverage Do I Have for My Personal Property?

When you have insurance for your motorhome or camper, $500 of personal property coverage is included in your policy. Depending on how many belongings you have and how much they’re worth, you can purchase additional coverage amounts for further protection.

Other Coverages for Your Camper or Motorhome

Collision coverage. Helps protect you against damage to your camper or motorhome caused by a collision, either with another vehicle or a stationary object, or rollover — whether or not you’re at fault. Learn more about collision coverage for RVs.

Comprehensive coverage. Provides protection for accidental loss or damage (not caused by a collision) to your camper or motorhome from most causes, including: collision with an animal, fire, theft, vandalism and falling objects. Learn more about comprehensive coverage for RVs.

Vacation expense allowance. Provided up to $200 for lodging costs if your camper or motorhome becomes uninhabitable while on vacation as a result of damage or destruction from a covered event.

Get an RV Insurance Quote

Want to find out more about insurance for your RV? Get in touch with an American Family Insurance agent and they’ll help you get your RV the custom protection it deserves.