Are Your Kids Swim-Ready?
Swimming suits are on – and the kids are all smiles. Aren’t summer days on the water simply the best?
Before grabbing the page-turner from your beach bag and catching some rays, it’s smart to give your little ones a short, informal swimming test. They’ll have more fun splashing – and you’ll be able to relax better knowing they have strong enough skills to swim solo.
Have them practice these steps in order while you supervise – you can even make a game of it!
- Step or jump into water that’s over their head.
- Come back up to the surface and float or tread water for about one minute.
- Turn around in a full circle while keeping afloat and find an exit.
- Swim at least 25 yards to that exit without stopping.
- Get out of the water. If they’re in a pool, have them exit without using the ladder.
While these core skills can give you a better idea of your kid’s swimming ability, it’s always a good idea to enroll them in lessons with a certified swim instructor before hanging out poolside. And our Simple Summer Pool Safety tips? They can come in handy too.
Related Topics: Safe and Happy Family