DIY Natural Disaster Kit
Just because natural disasters are unpredictable doesn’t mean you can’t be ready for them! One of the best ways to feel empowered for the unexpected is to spend an hour putting together your very own natural disaster kit — perfect for storms, tornadoes, hurricanes or any other surprises Mother Nature has in store.
Start with these essentials — and then add whatever extras make sense for taking care of your family!
- Two gallons of water per person in your household
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food that’ll feed your whole family — including your pets
- A manual can opener
- A battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- A first aid kit
- A whistle to signal for help in case of emergencies
- A dust mask to help filter contaminated air
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to fashion a temporary shelter
- Hand sanitizer
- Garbage bags
- A wrench and pliers to turn off utilities
- A solar cell phone charger
- Multi-purpose tool
Prepare your storm survival kit today and get peace of mind that you’ll be ready for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. One of the best ways to prepare for the unexpected is talking with your American Family Insurance agent to make sure you have the right homeowners coverage to protect you rain or shine.
Related Topics: Safety Tips