Get Smart About Homeowners Insurance
You’re a smart shopper, but often if you only look at price, you could be overlooking the protection that you need. So when shopping for new homeowners’ insurance, it’s a great idea to get the answers to these key questions before signing on the dotted line.
- Are discounts available, and if so, how do I qualify for them?
- What are the various deductible amounts and the advantages or disadvantages to those policies?
- How much would it cost to rebuild my home in its current location in the event of a total loss?
- How much is my personal property worth in the event of a total loss? (You can keep track of your belongings with our free DreamVault app.)
- How is inflation figured into property loss over time?
- What exactly is covered under this policy (mold, flooding, living expenses)? Or, what isn’t covered?
- If I have a home office, are the equipment and my computer storage included in the coverage?
- What is my liability insurance limit and do I need umbrella insurance?
- Are there any add-on coverages available that protect against things like floods, earthquakes and other natural disasters? What do they cover that my general policy wouldn’t?
- What is the process for filing a claim? What can I expect from the claims service?
Once you know the answers to these questions, you can start comparing rates. Remember, whether or not you’re an American Family Insurance customer, your local American Family agent is always glad to talk through what protection makes the most sense for you and your home.
Related Topics: At Home