Tire Care 101: Avoid Flat Tires
The tires on your car are your connection to the road, and nothing detours a dream drive more than a flat. Avoid flat tires and keep your vehicle moving in the right direction with these useful tips: Keep them inflated. All tires have a proper inflation level. Use a tire gauge and the poundage listed either in your owner’s manual or on the sticker on your door frame, door post, fuel door or glove box. Hint: Find it before you need it in the dark or the rain!
Avoid potholes. Don’t swerve wildly or slam on the brakes, but slow down and go over a pothole gently if you can’t safely avoid it. If you hit one hard, you may want to pull over to see if your tire is losing air.
Watch where you park. In short, broken glass is common in parking lots, and houses under renovation could have nails nearby.
Don’t ignore your spare. Ok. This one won’t prevent a flat, but you’ll feel better knowing you’re prepared.
Got a Flat? Don't Panic.
If you do get a flat tire, stay calm. You've got this. With a few smart moves, you'll be back on the road before you know it. Start here:
- Pull off the road as far as you can and turn on your hazards to avoid causing an accident. It’s best if motorists aren’t swerving into another lane to avoid your car.
- If possible, stay in your car. It’s the safest place you can be.
- Call a friend or family member to let them know where you are. If they can’t help, they’ll at least know you’re safe.
- Already have American Family’s add-on Emergency Roadside Service coverage? Call 1-800-MYAMFAM — anytime, anywhere. We’ll be by your side, ready to help. If you don’t, some states have roadside assistance or motorist assist vehicles just for such emergencies. You could be responsible for the cost of these services. Hint: Often you can contact that county’s sheriff’s department or state highway patrol non-emergency number for information.
- Need to change the flat tire yourself? No worries! Our simple instructions to Change a Flat Tire can help.
Now that you’ve got your wheels ready to go, make sure everything else in your car is in tip-top shape with our car maintenance hub. Check it out!