Whether you’re a frequent flier or an occasional air traveler, these steps can make your trip stress-free and more enjoyable.
Fourth of July Smarts
From cookouts to pool parties and firework shows, we’ve all got big plans this Independence Day! No matter how you choose to celebrate, make sure to keep these safety tips in mind and make your holiday one to remember.
Nothing beats a day at the pool or beach! If you’re hosting this activity, put this safety plan into place:
- Keep an eye on everyone in the water.
- Teach children basic water safety tips.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings.
- Have “throwable” floatation devices available.
It wouldn’t be the fourth of July without char-grilled hotdogs, brats and burgers. If you’re the designated master of the grill this holiday, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Keep your grill away from your home and deck railings, and avoid placing it under low hanging branches or vegetation.
- Keep children and pets away from the grilling area.
- Clean your grill before you fire it up – remove any grease or fat buildup to avoid a fire hazard.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Once the sun has set and the picnic has ended, it’s time for the day’s main event – fireworks! Fireworks are fun, but can be dangerous, so consider leaving the lighting to the professionals. But, if you do choose to use home fireworks, take caution with these safety tips:
- Never allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
- Know your fireworks – read the caution label before igniting.
- Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, don’t use them.
- Never handle fireworks if you’ve been drinking.
- Wear safety glasses when lighting.
- Always have water ready to douse a fire.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor garbage can.
- When it comes to sparklers, teach your children not to wave or run while holding them and remember to never hold or light more than one at a time.
Taking these simple safety measures will ensure that your party will be one to remember. Happy celebrating!
Related Topics: Safe and Happy Family