a person holding their phone and a receipt

Homeowners Insurance & Temporary Housing

Updated February 2, 2024 . AmFam Team

Did you know that if your home faces the unexpected and you have to temporarily relocate, your homeowners insurance coverage can help cover the cost of temporary housing and expenses. Learn more today!

Consider this — your home or apartment is damaged from a small kitchen fire and, not only does your kitchen need repairs, but your home has smoke damage as well. Would you be able to continue comfortably living there while repairs are being made? Probably not.

That’s where insurance for temporary housing comes into play.

Temporary living expense coverage, also known as loss of use coverage or Coverage D, is reimbursement for living expenses when loss of or damage to your home by a covered event forces you to maintain temporary residence elsewhere.

You can use insurance for temporary accommodation in instances such as:

  • Your home becomes uninhabitable after a fire
  • A wind storm caused a tree to crush your roof
  • If a covered event, like a lightning strike, causes your air conditioner to break down
  • If an emergency, mandatory evacuation required you to relocate temporarily
  • A vehicle collided with your home
  • An explosion causes your home to become unlivable

Equipment Breakdown Coverage

Learn more about how this added coverage offers protection should your appliances, home systems or smart home devices be damaged due to equipment breakdown.

Are You a Renter?

Your renters insurance policy includes loss of use coverage! It's just one more reason why renters insurance is a good idea.

Connect With an Agent

Curious to learn more about temporary living expenses coverage? Your agent can help you better understand how you’re covered and ensure that you’re properly insured. Connect with your American Family Insurance agent (Opens in a new tab) today and gain peace of mind you’re protecting what matters most.

Tools & Resources

Explore our tools and smart tips.