3 Most Commonly Asked Questions About KnowYourDrive
Our KnowYourDrive® app can help you learn safer driving habits while empowering you to save on your car insurance. While we strive to make KnowYourDrive as easy to use as possible, we understand if there are still some things you might have questions about. With that in mind, here are answers to the top questions we hear from customers about KnowYourDrive.
How Do I Keep My Discount?
Either the introductory discount or program discount will remain on your policy as long as you follow the terms and conditions of KnowYourDrive. That includes keeping the app on your phone and staying logged in. If you do log out, we’ll send a text message to remind you to log back in. Keep in mind the program requires ongoing participation by at least one driver on the policy to maintain the discount.
How Does My Driving Behavior Affect My Discount?
Certain driving behaviors and variables may increase the chance of having an accident. By adjusting your driving habits based on the feedback you receive from the KnowYourDrive app, you may improve your safe driving behavior and increase your discount. Listed below are the key driving variables we use to calculate your KnowYourDrive discount.
- Hours driven. Measures how much the vehicle is driven.
- Hard braking. Measures those times when the vehicle stops or slows down very abruptly.
- Evening driving. Measures the total driving time that occurs between the hours of 6 PM and 12 midnight.
- Late night driving. Measures the total driving time that occurs between the hours of 12 midnight and 4 AM.
- High speed. Measures when a person is driving 10 mph or more above the posted speed limit.
- Distraction. Measures when a person is actively using their phone while unlocked or making a handheld call.
- Average speed. Measures the average speed over the course of trips taken.
- Short trips (less than five minutes). Measures the number of short trips taken.
How Is Distracted Driving Defined?
Simply put, distracted driving is doing anything that takes your attention away from driving. Specifically, the KnowYourDrive app considers handheld phone calls and active phone use when the vehicle is in motion to be distracted driving. Here’s the breakdown:
What counts as distraction while driving?
- Picking up your phone when the screen is unlocked
- Touching the screen, including swiping and typing
- Making a call while holding your phone
- A passenger using your phone (the app can’t tell who is using the phone)
What doesn’t count as distraction while driving?
- Listening to music or podcasts
- Using a navigation app without touching the screen
- Stopping your car, then taking a call while holding your phone
- Sending a text/call using voice commands
- Using your vehicle’s touchscreen
- Charging your phone or having an audio cable plugged in
Have More Questions About KnowYourDrive?
To learn more, be sure to check out our KnowYourDrive FAQs. For any other questions, you can also contact the KnowYourDrive Support Center at 1-800-692-6326 ext. 79510 or KnowYourDrive@amfam.com. Now get out there, drive safe and save on your car insurance!