Tips for Preparing Your Home for Vacation
You’ve booked your trip and packed your bags. You and your family may be ready for your big vacation, but is your home? Anything can happen while you’re away. That’s why it’s important to make sure your home is safe and secure before you leave for vacation. Here are 18 ways to prepare your home for vacation so you can have peace of mind while you’re away.
General Tips for Preparing Your Home for Vacation
Preparing your home before vacation looks a little different than your normal home maintenance checklist. After you pack your bags and tidy up, take a few steps to reduce your risks while you're away. Steps like removing any clues that you aren't home or limiting the number of cards you bring along. To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of things to check off before you head out. Start prepping your home for vacation with these tips:
- Have the post office hold your mail while you’re gone, or ask a neighbor to pick it up
- If you aren't using your car for the trip, store it in the garage, lock everything up and ask a neighbor to use your driveway to make it look like someone is home
- Pare down any cards you won't need on your trip and secure them in a safe
- Set your thermostat at weather-appropriate temperatures so air conditioning or heating aren’t unexpectedly turned on
- Turn on your water heater’s “vacation mode” feature or reduce the temperature to 50 degrees Fahrenheit to save on your energy bill
- Leave an emergency contact number with a trusted neighbor in case the unexpected happens to your home
Preparing Your Kitchen for Vacation
One of the last things you want when coming home from vacation is a stinky fridge or sink. By keeping these tips in mind, your kitchen should stay — and smell — exactly the way you left it before vacation.
- Take out the trash so it doesn’t create an unpleasant odor in your home
- Run a mixture of water and vinegar through your sink garbage disposal so any rancid smells don’t build or linger
- Clean your refrigerator and throw out or freeze food that may go bad
- After clearing out your dish washer, leave it open so standing water can evaporate
- Wipe down all surfaces to prevent the spread of bacteria
Have some extra time to tidy up before heading out? Read our home deep-cleaning checklist for pointers.
Preparing Your Home for Summer Vacation
If you’re planning some R&R this summer, make sure your home is secure and protected from potential burglars. Keep these safety tips in mind before you leave for vacation:
- Use smart home devices and security systems to protect your home while away
- Unplug your nonessential electronics
- Turn off your home’s main water supply if possible
- Wait to post vacation photos to social media until after your trip
- Make it look like you’re still home; ask a friend to mow your lawn or put out your trash bins
- Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your house
- Set timers for your outdoor lights
Check out the resource below for more info on keeping your home secure while on vacation.
Looking for more ways to secure your home when you’re away? Explore even more tips for keeping your home safe while traveling.
Protect Your Home with Homeowners Insurance
Your vacation should focus on fun and relaxation. Let us take care of protecting your things while you're away. Talk your American Family Insurance agent today to review your homeowners insurance coverage. Make sure you and your family have all the coverage you need for total peace of mind all year round.
Related Topics: Home DIY