SMART Goals: How Do People Set Goals for Themselves?
When it comes to long-term goal setting, there’s no one right way to reach your goal. But having a process to plan your goals, track progress and see them through is an important step towards success. So, where should you begin? Consider setting SMART goals to help make your dreams a reality.
SMART Goals Examples
We’ve covered what SMART goals are and how to write them, but if you’ve still got questions, you’re not alone. Perhaps this mnemonic device — or a pattern of letters to help you remember— can help you better understand how to apply this method to realize your dreams:
Example SMART Goal: “I want a new job.”
- S – Specific: I want to submit applications regularly to increase my odds of switching jobs in the near future
- M – Measurable: I want to submit one application each week
- A – Achievable: I will apply for jobs that I’m qualified for which also align with my long-term career goals
- R – Relevant: I’m working towards saving for a house and a family, and a new job would allow me to make more money and move the needle on my other goals as well.
- T – Time-Sensitive: I’m giving myself until the end of the year to get a new job.
Things to Consider When SMART Goal Setting
When you're using the SMART criteria to set your goals, it's important to remember a few additional things. Acknowledge your awesomeness
Before you do anything, think about all the great things you’ve already done. Your list of achievements is probably longer than you’d think! And you deserve some self-kudos for that.
Try and try again
Next step: keep trying.
Always remember, it’s ok if you don’t get it 100% right the first few times. Dust yourself off and have another go at it.
Use what you’ve learned and keep going — you can’t fail if you keep trying.
Celebrate the small
Small wins are huge motivators. Go ahead and treat yourself every time you reach another goal or milestone along the way. High fives, fist bumps, parties, chocolate — celebrate however you want. Just make sure to take time to acknowledge your milestones.
Remember, nobody expects you to do it all on your own. Build up a good support team to keep you focused and pushing through challenges. And don’t be afraid to reach out to a friend when you run into roadblocks. Even the most successful people need help sometimes!
Want more tips and motivation? Join the dream movement today — we’ve got just the resources to help support and guide you and your family along any dream pursuit.