Car Insurance & Car Insurance Requirements in Washington
Washington Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
To legally drive a vehicle that is registered in Washington you must have one of the following:
- Auto insurance
- Certificate of deposit
- Liability bond
If you decide to purchase liability auto insurance, your policy must have limits of at least:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability for one person per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury liability for any two people per accident
- $10,000 property damage liability per accident
In addition to having car insurance, Washington also requires proof of that insurance during a police stop. Your insurance company will provide you with a proof of insurance card but it is your responsibility to check that it contains the following:
- Name of insurance provider.
- Policy number.
- Effective date of policy.
- Expiration date of policy.
- Description of the insured vehicle(s) and name of insured driver(s).
While the minimum car insurance requirements in Washington are predefined, they are not meant to be a cap on how much coverage you can or should get. You may opt for more coverage than the state minimums to protect your financial assets and your vehicle and/or passengers.
If you’re interested in getting a car insurance quote in Washington, contact your American Family Insurance agent to discuss what type of protection is best for your needs and what discounts may apply in your region.