a house next to a field

Farm House Dwelling Insurance

You may call it your farm or ranch, but it’s more than that. It’s your home, your living and your way of life. You’ve worked hard for your farm. It’s a special place filled with favorite things and favorite people. Now consider how much it would cost to replace or repair the belongings you love, not to mention the things you need, if they were to be damaged, destroyed, or stolen.

That’s why the dwelling coverage on your farm insurance policy is so important. Your farm and ranch insurance includes a mix of homeowners insurance, otherwise known as farm dwelling coverage, and liability coverage to protect both your personal and farming liability exposures.

What Does Farm Dwelling Insurance Protect?*

Farm dwelling insurance is the portion of your farm and ranch insurance policy that protects the dwelling structure on your property. Dwelling insurance is homeowners insurance, but with an extra level of protection for the business conducted on your property.

Your farm dwelling coverage protects the structure of your home, your belongings inside of your home, outdoor structures and appliances. It also protects you for liability claims made against you or other insureds. Here's a list of the dwelling coverages that American Family Insurance offers:

Dwelling Coverage - Basic Form (FO-1)

This form provides Actual Cash Value protection for a variety of common perils on a basic form basis, from fire and lightning, to theft, hail, wind, smoke, and more. Glass Breakage is limited to $50. Policy is on a named perils basis and is available only on an Actual Cash Value basis. Provides Replacement Cost Coverage for the contents of your home.

Dwelling Coverage - Broad Form (FO-2)

Provides broader coverage than the FO-1 through inclusion of additional perils such as weight of ice, snow, or sleet, falling objects, freezing, and more. Policy is on a named perils basis and is available only on an Actual Cash Value basis. Provides Replacement Cost Coverage for the contents of your home.

Dwelling Coverage - Special Form (FO-3)

Dwelling Coverage (FO-3) offers replacement cost coverage for the home, for direct physical loss. Contents and personal possessions are covered against a more complete array of named perils. With Dwelling Coverage (FO-3), your home is protected against all accidents except those specifically excluded in the policy. Provides Replacement Cost Coverage for the contents of your home.

Dwelling Coverage - Renters Form (FO-4)

This form provides farm dwelling property protection for tenants on a broad form basis. Policy is on a named perils basis and provides replacement cost coverage for the contents of your home.

Dwelling Coverage - Special Building and Contents Form (FO 0005)

Provides coverage for direct physical loss to the dwelling and contents. This form provides coverage for the cost to repair or rebuild your home up to a maximum of 120% of the limit applying to the damaged building, and provides Replacement Cost Coverage for the contents of your home.**

** This applies to all states except NE which is 125% of the limit.

What Does Farm Home Insurance Cover?*

Dwelling coverage insures your home and personal property against a broad range of unexpected incidents, which may include:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Windstorm
  • Hail
  • Smoke
  • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Breaking of glass
  • Damage by certain vehicles
  • Water damage from plumbing or heating system
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Power surge to appliances
  • Bursting water heater

Additional Farm Home Insurance Options*

Additional farm home insurance coverages can give you peace of mind that you have the right coverages in place no matter what’s thrown your way:

Roof replacement cost coverage for windstorm or hail

You’ll choose between actual cash value and replacement cost value to cover the cost to repair or replace your roof if it’s damaged by a covered loss. Learn more about insurance for roof replacement.

Water backup and sump discharge or overflow coverage

If your sump pump system ever fails or the power goes out, water overflow may occur. But you're typically not covered for this type of damage with your homeowners insurance. Learn more about how having sewer back-up and sump pump overflow coverage gives you that important layer of protection.

Matching undamaged siding coverage

If the vinyl or metal siding of your home gets damaged, finding replacement siding that’s a good match can be difficult. Having this coverage can keep your home looking the way you want it to.

Additional living costs coverage

If you have to move out of your home temporarily due to damage caused by a covered peril, American Family will pay for any increase in living expenses necessary to allow your household to maintain its normal standard of living. Coverage is provided up to 12 months after the loss is sustained.

All states have the options to increase coverage from 12 months to 24 months under the Additional Living Costs and Loss of Rent Coverage. Colorado requires 24 months.

Loss of rent coverage

If you rent all or a portion of your insured dwelling to others, and it becomes unusable due to a covered loss, we will pay the fair rental value of the rented property while it is uninhabitable.

Request a Farm Home Insurance Quote

Your American Family agent can help you discover more about how farm and ranch insurance coverage protects your home and everything inside. Connect with your agent to make sure your needs are met and your questions are answered.