Car Insurance in Ohio
Ohio Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
In Ohio, proof of financial responsibility is required to make you a legal driver. It is also illegal to allow another person to drive your car without proof of financial responsibility. If you decide to purchase liability auto insurance as a means to prove financial responsibility, the minimum requirements are as follows:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
If you decide to get a bond or post collateral instead of insurance, you can use one of the following in place of car insurance:
- A BMV certificate indicating that a deposit of money or a government bond in the amount of $30,000 is on record with the office of the Treasurer of the State of Ohio
- A certificate of bond issued by the BMV in the amount of $30,000 signed by two people who own real estate with equity of at least $60,000.
- A certificate of self-insurance from the BMV for people with more than 25 motor vehicles registered in their name or their company’s name.
- A $30,000 bond issued by an authorized surety or insurance company.
While the minimum car insurance requirements in Ohio are predefined, they are not meant to be a cap on how much coverage you can or should get. You may opt for more coverage than the state minimums to protect your financial assets and your vehicle and/or passengers..
If you’re interested in getting a car insurance quote in Ohio, contact your American Family Insurance agent to discuss what type of protection is best for your needs and what discounts may apply in your region.
The information on this webpage represents only a brief description of coverages, is not part of your policy, and is not a promise or guarantee of coverage. If there is any conflict between this information and your policy, the provisions of the policy will prevail. Insurance policy terms and conditions may apply. Coverage features and limits vary by state and may be subject to change. Some products are not available in every state. Discount availability and eligibility vary by state and policy terms. (Discounts apply to auto and property policies.) Please check with your agent and read the policy for exact details on coverages and exclusions.